Tuesday, November 01, 2005

One Year

Sunday represented our one year anniversary here in Seattle. I would have said something yesterday, but I figured a slow rotting Easter bunny episode was a little more holiday oriented.

It’s shocking how quickly the year has gone by, seriously. And it’s funny to think about puttering around that box filled apartment, scared but excited, spending money that would have been more wisely spent elsewhere to buy a Subway sandwich for dinner from perhaps the surliest woman in Seattle, and knowing absolutely nobody.

Well Chuck, but the son of a bitch ran off to Dallas. That’s happened to me too many times in my life…

I was walking around the neighborhood on Sunday, it was cold and wet and somehow perfectly Seattle, and I felt so happy to be here, it just seemed right. I again thought about my life a year ago and getting up in the morning to read for a couple hours in the cold kitchen and making Irish soda bread out of the margarine mom had given us as a moving in gift before unpacking something or painting something and drinking massive amounts of French Market coffee. While they were nice memories, they did not hold onto the fear that constantly filled those days; fear of abject failure and fear of absolutely no fucking money.

It was nice to later lie on the couch in our put together, painted and comfortable living room, two cats curled up and warm on top of me, the smell of coffee and left over soup coming from the kitchen… and think to myself that we were doing pretty damn good.

Oh and by the way, we went to this restaurant to celebrate the anniversary and found our new absolute favorite place in the city. We can’t wait to take you there!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWEET! I'll be right over.

Anonymous said...

but will they take my diners club card?

it's the red lobster, isn't it.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, no.

Olive Garden. I don't know if you've heard, but all you can eat breadsticks! Serious!

Anonymous said...

and i hear they are known for their hospitaliano!!!!!

Anonymous said...

wow, can't believe it's been a whole year already... congratulations to y'all - i knew it would work out just fine. and don't worry billy, i'll come flying back into your loving arms as soon as i possibly can. texas blows. -chuck