Friday, August 25, 2006

Can't Understand, Just What Does He Say

I awoke this morning with this vague sort of dread that it had been awhile since I'd heard my alarm go off. I quickly grabbed my phone, putting it up to my face so I could see clearly. It was a little later than it should have been, but nothing dire. My next immediate thought was, what the hell caused that awful taste in my mouth? It tasted like someone had snuck in during the night and filled my mouth with swamp water and road kill possum.

None of this bade well for an easy going morning. I am a little worn out and tired and so, a little cranky. And when I get cranky at work I find it necessary to listen to my ipod or I will snap. The sound of some of my coworker's voices can be enough to make me want to launch into an ill advised tirade; the sort that I usually form in my head, keep silent about and laugh at my bitchy cleverness. When I get tired and out of sorts like this, sometimes I get the ideas of sharing my wit and just being plain hurtful mixed up.

So ipod to the rescue. I was making a playlist for my pleasure and delight and began remembering how much fun I had DJ'ing on the college radio station.

I think being on the radio was always a dream that I had kept in the back of my head from a young age. After I saw the movie Pump Up The Volume, I so badly wanted to start a pirate radio station. Without ever bringing it up myself, my friend Dave once asked me if I would do a pirate radio show if he and Keith stole the equipment to make it happen. I nearly threw him to ground and made sweet, sweet love to him right there. Would I? Fuck yes I would!

So when Biffy got a show on the San Francisco State radio station, I eagerly pushed my way into that (I'm sorry by the way if I totally stepped all over your shit Bif). We had a blast, we played whatever the fuck we wanted to and would spend long breaks talking about random shit that would crack us both up. And I loved the search for the perfect twenty minute song which would allow us a quick restroom break, a smoke and a trip to the student union for a bag of Corn Nuts.

In case you ever need this knowledge, The Diamond Sea by Sonic Youth will allow you to accomplish these things and it’s still a great song.

Mmmmm, those were good times. And while I miss it, and wouldn't mind going in and doing a show from time to time, it makes me a little sad to think about doing that for a living on a real station. Those folks who have to play off a playlist, never talk about anything interesting and feel the necessity to speak in that friggin' fake retarded DJ voice, they seem desperate and sad somehow.

Anyway, the day is picking up, it's not as bad as it looked like it might be. I hope y'all are doing well.

p.s. Listening to tapes of Mercedes as a DJ saying, "It's Friday!", with more energy than a mere mortal has the right to have, is a delight that I hope to never forget.

p.p.s. If you listen to only one X song today, make it Adult Books. My god, I love that song!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

maybe we can get a weekly show going called "stoopin' it up" when we're retired. we'll do it out of the dudealude biznit every tuesday at midnight.
hahahahaha. we'll be so coked up and drunk.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes! Fuck yes!

Seriously, yes.

Anonymous said...

I love that you love your iPod. However, there IS new technology available which turns YOU yes you, the humble person sitting at home, into your own real live DJ!! THE INTERNET!!! There is this "new" thing called a podcast which allows you to make a little ditty, upload it to the internet and people listen (and love) you!!! Do it. Apple makes it real easy and possible. Just ask me for the software. (Ask nicely if you call in the morning, i get grumpy).

Anonymous said...

kc..please stop.