Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Oh I'll Mess With Texas...

It's like a gnarly little flashback to 2001, and not the movie, 'cause that would rule. Back in 2001, after months of misdirection and lies, my family away from family, my coworkers at the hedonistic headquarters of DG Systems were told that they were soon to be no longer gainfully employed as they were moving part of the company to Dallas, TX.

Roughly six months later, the same happened to the rest of us. Was I bitter about it? Like a Sour Patch Kid marinated in quinine, buried in a lemon and covered in gravy made of bitter. I mean not only was this messing up the lives of many people that I cared deeply for, but it reinforced my cynical view that corporations don't give a fuck for the humans working for them, just the "metrics".

And I guess I should have known this, so in a way it was a good lesson in the harsh ways of the world; a good way to build up an uncaring callus, craft a scab over that naive wound.

Well the scab got ripped open a little bit when on Friday, on her birthday, Biffy found out that her new company is again selling out their employees and moving the company to Texas.

And I guess I should state, for my own conscious if nothing else, that before any of this happened I already did not like Texas. Most of this was a bias built up around movies and the way representatives from the state behaved. The fact that our ignorant and dangerously incompetent president came from the Lone Star State had me voting for their seceding.

But then I visited Texas, I drove through a large chunk of it, and I can say without reservation that Texas can lick my balls. It's great that a place can generally hold onto that old South sense of racism and sexism like it's a point of pride. It's apropos that JFK was killed in Dallas, a nice little symbolic follow through for the death of Camelot.

One of the most humorous-slash-horrible moments of my life was landing in Dallas and watching all of these Texas women, with Texas sized hair, whipping out their arsenal of makeup and adding another layer to the Bozo the Clown coating that was already there.

And if one more person tells me that "Austin's nice"... Austin may be all backrubs and blow jobs, but it's surrounded by Texas!

And yes, these companies that treat their employees as disposable have not made Texas the festering pile of putrescence that I feel it is. Texas did that all on its own. But, it seems a little too much of a coincidence that these companies are located in a place where the idea of the rich and powerful fucking over everything in sight for more profits seems to be celebrated (see again our illustrious president if more proof is needed).

Sorry for the histrionics so early in the week, but I can’t pass up a good Texas rant when the opportunity floats my way.

6 comments:

Kelly Bean said...

i second that. texas can lick my...nevermind, i don't have them.

mandy said...

well i have em. and texas can wrap its sticky forked tongue around em.

Unknown said...

so...you and biffy aren't relocating to TX?

Anonymous said...

“If I owned Hell and Texas I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
Gen. Philip Henry Sheridan - Union Army - 1866

Anonymous said...

All this talk about licking balls is making me... well you know... want to play pool!

Sorry for the job woes, I know that sucks. Are there at least sweet severance packages for you non-TexASS-moving folk?

Anonymous said...

okay okay, this is all fine and dandy, but let's be serious for a second...Austin is nice though.