Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Derision On A Blog

When I was a younger man than I am now, I would watch any movie that got caught on my feelers as it floated through the entertainment deluge. Hence seeing The Cutting Edge; of course, I was trying to get some.

I think that there was this fear of missing something. I think that there was a fear of a hole in my internal popular entertainment knowledge base. I find it interesting that that fear is no longer there. I find it interesting that there are years worth of movies that I will never watch. And I don't mean wait till they're on DVD or catch them on cable in some motel room on some random travel, I mean I will never watch them.

Miami Vice comes to mind. Though, heart Will Farrell I do, Bewitched comes to mind. Lambada: The Forbidden Dance Of Love also comes to mind, but seems to weaken the small stance I'm taking against Miami Vice.

But Snakes On A Plane... I was thinking to myself last night that I will probably never see this movie. There's no anger to the decision, the movie's as ridiculous and unnecessary as Miami Vice, I think it's just I miss so many good movies already that I need to specify my watching habits to films I will get a little more out of than CGI snake footage and Samuel L acting the badass.

But there is something so audacious about calling a film Snakes On A Plane, something so "F you" to the action movie crowd. It feels as though the true feelings of studio execs are peering through the lines of that decision, like they're dumbing down the title to match the expected intellect of their expected demographic. It's all right there on the title. What's the movie about? Snakes on a mother effing plane.

It reminds me of a thought I had while my mind was wandering during MI:2 - Electric Boogaloo and I was in a very nihilistic place. I would like to make a film that opens with ten minutes of someone just getting the crap kicked out of them and then shot point blank in the head. This would then be followed by an hour and twenty minutes of explosions. This seems to be what sells tickets, it seems to cut down to the basics what movie studios feel we as viewers are looking for.

Yeah alright, I'll probably end up renting SOAP...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

that last paragraph - didn't quentin tarantino already make that film? a couple of times?

Anonymous said...

He uses clever dialogue though. Takes away from the explosions.

Anonymous said...

Can't you rent DVDs of US bomb-testing missions out in nowhere-land (otherwise known as Nevada)?

Watching things explode is hot. Or machine guns! That is hot too.

Kelly Bean said...

Billy bean-I think we talked about this months ago. As upsetting as it was even way back then, I would highly suggest you never even rent it. :)

Anonymous said...

You have got to read the review for the movie "Sphere" on http://www.defectiveyeti.com/

mandy said...

the more you mention the movie, the more i believe you super secret squirrel love it

a hockey player
a figure skater
leotards

it doesn't GET any better.

you would have totally gotten lucky with me... but really, who doesnt?

Anonymous said...

The crap movie mention was especially for you Mandy. It makes me hot to think that I would have gotten lucky with you... When you were like 4.