Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Collector, Collection, Collected

I’m a collector, I’m that guy. I understand the main character of High Fidelity in a way that is probably unhealthy. I’m starting to get better (the lack of funds definitely puts a damper on unnecessary purchasing) but that pull is something that can never be vanquished, only ignored; it’s like a werewolf and the full moon, it’s as sure as the tide, it’s in the DNA.

I have bought albums I will never listen to, films I will never watch. I have paid exorbitant amounts of money for song singles just for the previously unavailable B-Side. I have willingly searched out experimental albums that take near mechanical patience to listen to by splinter groups of splinter groups of groups I wasn’t crazy about to begin with.

I used to fantasize about being able to go back in time to get albums that are now out of print.

Amoeba Records on Haight Street in San Francisco is my nirvana – as well as my Waterloo. For those who may not know, Amoeba stands on a site that used to be a bowling alley – a big fucking bowling alley – and it’s FILLED with used music and movies. It makes my palms itch just thinking about it. Do you want to know how bad my problem was? I used to get panicky thinking about not going to Amoeba on Mondays and Tuesdays and checking out all of the new arrivals that people had sold over the weekend. Seriously.

It’s a sickness, and as I said, I’m getting better. I only want to give you a little background for tomorrow’s post…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be in total collector's hell, living 812 miles away from Nirvana. Therefore, I send you un-haightful, telegraphed blessings and single-celled, aural greetings from the 22.5 mile-mark.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you are way too good to me, you understand though. Now if you could find me that Smiths single with the song "Jeane" on it - that would rule!

Anonymous said...

Morrisey sucks.

Anonymous said...

I'll let that stand, I can understand why you would feel that way, but Johnny Marr pretty much rules.

Anonymous said...

...I could never figure out what is wrong with me. Seeing that I grew up as an outcast in rich, suburban, Orange County; hung out with/dated goths/indutrial-heads while in highschool; and generally embodied what a typical fan should look like, act like, and function-within-society like. Its just that I prefer the antithesis of what Morrisey/The Cure/The Smiths/Etc. Al. represents: namely, the almighty funk.

(...and don't get me started on the Grateful Dead either!)

Anonymous said...

Okay, are you just looking to start a fight? You wanna bring up the Dead?

Don't tell anyone else, but kc, you put the doobie in my funk...