Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Pioneer Square (A Brief Glimpse)

Every morning I walk through the Pioneer Square area of Seattle. Pioneer Square is where the city of Seattle started (sort of); and to celebrate that, it is filled with high priced boutiques and bars. On weekends, Pioneer Square becomes the Pacific Northwest’s version of the French Quarter with rowdy drunks bar hopping from place to place (but no open containers and no tits).

Pioneer Square also has old buildings. Not like Europe old, hell not even like America old, but I gotta admit that I dig those old(er) brick and stone buildings. There’s one brick building I spy every morning through the opening of an alley that is half overtaken by ivy. I LOVE IT! I makes me want to sing a song.

Maybe Neil Young’s “Needle and the Damage Done”, but I doubt it.

Anyway, this morning as I passed this building I heart so much, the sun shot out from the overcast and lit up the ivy like some kind of neon. All this green fire all over old red brick just made me kind of hard.

Seriously, it was great. I wish you would have been there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too found many beautiful, secret nitches in the downtown area when I visited, that one time, a while ago.

...now, if I can only convince my wife that everyone doesn't commit suicide upon moving there, maybe I will have the opportunity to enjoy said firey brick greenness with frequency as well!

Did that sentence make sense?

Anonymous said...

Totally made sense. It's true that not everyone commits suicide up here. But if you don't you will have to start a heroin habit. It's part of the city charter.

Shannon's down with that though, right?

Anonymous said...

Last time I checked, yeah!