Tuesday, May 10, 2005

I Wanna Be A Kid Again

I had a rough grandparent weekend.

My recently widowed grandmother was getting constant reminders of the loss of her husband throughout the evening, and a few times broke down and cried. This is of course completely understandable, but not easy to watch her go through. This was a marriage that I hold up as one of the greats, it lasted long and was filled with love and respect. Les was a great man; sharp and funny and loving, and I miss him terribly. I cannot (and probably do not want to) imagine the void left in my grandmother’s life.

My other grandfather is suffering from Alzheimer’s, and I’m pretty sure he had no idea of who I was. This is certainly a drag, but the worst part was at one point of the evening he went into some sort of convulsion. The image of this will probably never quite leave my mind, it was one of the scariest moments of my life thus far.

I have been told by numerous people, “don’t get old, it’s no fun”. I don’t have a lot of options here.

No comments: