Thursday, October 13, 2005

Dream Series #3

So I have this highway dream series. It involves a long road trip along a straight strip of highway. I am sure that this is brought on by many trips up the ol’ 5 between California and Washington.

This dream highway goes through a variety of terrains, but one constant is a long stretch of divided highway through a flat, green field and this huge but gentle curve where there is this monster gas station that sells effing everything. I always seem to be coming on this shopper’s paradise late at night and in desperate need of smokes.

Last night’s dream was a bit different in that it added a nice stress level to the typical highway dream. I was helping my brother move to Monterey. We were a while on the road before I realized we needed to turn around and tell mom we had left and that we needed to get some cassette tapes for the trip. Mom was fairly nonplussed with both our leaving and our having left without saying goodbye. The only cassettes I could find were about ten tapes by The Cure that were not albums, but songs selected from a variety of albums and put together. A record company mix tape if you will.

It was on going back out to the moving van that I realized it was the same one we had used to move up to Seattle and I had forgotten to return it. I started freaking out, wondering how I would ever be able to pay for this. I talked to some pump jockey kid at a Shell station (yep, for some reason I made sure to check that it was a Shell station) who told me that I would need to take the van back to the company, but to bring along a journalist who would also act as my attorney.

This was all a very stressful way to wake up, heart pounding and breathing hard, at 3 in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to cut back on the David Lynch, man.

Anonymous said...

NEVER!! You can't make me!