Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Time Passages

Whenever I think about time capsules (which honestly is not often), those boxes buried with mementos of the times, I think about what I would put into one. The contents change every time this thought comes around as what is important to me at the time changes.

For instance, back in seventh grade I would have put a pair of jeans with a side comb pocket and packages of blueberry Hubba Bubba.

Today, this morning, right now, if pressed at gunpoint or sharp object, I would place into a time capsule:
An empty twelver of Pabst Blue Ribbon
An Ikea catalogue
A Polaroid of one of the Pike’s Place Market fish throwing guys standing around with his hands in his pockets
A can of Crisco
A VHS copy of Two of a Kind with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John
An 8-track of The Best of Jim Croce

Jim Croce… Jim “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown” Croce… This guy just doesn’t seem like he should be a popular music star.
croce

But these were the days before videos. And when a singer/songwriter dies in a plane crash in Natchitoches, Louisiana, people suddenly raise up their voices in praise. My dad was a huge Jim Croce fan; Bob Segar, Jimmy Buffet and The Eagles as well. My dad has, shall we say, an eclectic taste in shitty music.

I do remember him saying once, while driving to Bremerton as a child with Jim Croce’s Time In A Bottle playing, that it sounded like Mr. Croce knew he was going to die when he sang that song. This is a comment I have always held onto for some reason. A plainly stated comment that fit the musical mood, a quiet moment where my dad expressed the emotions he got from a song.

Yeah Jim Croce’s alright. You Don’t Mess Around With Jim is a pretty decent song, and even the schmaltzy Time In A Bottle gives me a little tear.

Jimmy Buffet though, can lick my balls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my parents have seen jimmy buffet in concert a couple times. they are, how do you say? parrot heads? my mom's eternal sage advice, given to me on the eve of my first concert (the violent femmes at uci), was 'don't pass any joints. if the police catch you even passing them they'll getcha.' i believe this wisdom was accrued whilst at a jimmy buffet concert. my mummy don't pass no joints to no parrot heads.

Anonymous said...

From what I know of your mum, she don't pass joints to nobody. A bogarter of joints is your mom...

Anonymous said...

Fins to the left, fins to the right... (and by fins I mean passing your joints).

However, if I had a time capsule, I would put myself in it (...and by time capsule, I mean Heather Graham).

Anonymous said...

whoa. high five, dude.