Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Once Upon A Time...

Mom has saved a box full of school stuff from when I was a child. There are things like report cards and kindergarten art projects that I’m sure are adorable to parents, but made me want to say to my five year old self, “Look, when you can draw an elephant that doesn’t look retarded, come talk to me”.

I have realized a few things from looking through this veritable box of wonders. I have found that to this day, I draw an elephant as well as I did in kindergarten. I have also been reminded that I always enjoyed writing.

There were stories I had written throughout grade school, a bound book of a story where I went inside a Pac Man game, even a small note to my mom and dad letting them know that I was running away.

These were memories that came at a good time I think. It made me happy to remember that writing was something I had always enjoyed, even at six years old. It was this sort of reaffirmation of purpose, a nudge to my adult mind from that strange child that lived for running around in his imagination. I could almost hear that toe-headed, buck toothed kid quietly say, “You can’t run away from it. Just sit down and write.”

He’s correct, and it felt good to acknowledge that he’s correct. Even if, as one of his teachers specified, he did have problems with character development.

Some things never change

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just remember to let us know when the novel will be finished. I will be first in line.

Anonymous said...

To All:
There was also a note that had the following:
Run Run as fast as you can,
You can't catch me,
I'm The Billy Man.