Thursday, October 27, 2005

Love and Ice Skating

I believe that my lovely Jenny H once said (in answering one of those email survey things that kill me) that she did in fact fall in love everyday. I love that, and I completely understand it. I also often fall in love at the drop of the proverbial hat. It certainly doesn’t tarnish or lessen the love of my life that I am lucky enough to bask in. As a matter of fact, I think she also understands the feeling, and also falls in love quite often herself.

When I was like 5 years old, my parents took me to see Sesame Street on Ice. I was heavy into Sesame Street. Heavy! I had a non-sexual hard on for the Count. He was a vampire for Christ’s sake, but an obsessive-compulsive vampire with a monocle! Anyway, I intended to get seriously excited about seeing Bert and Ernie and Snuffleupagus on ice skates, but I was instead entranced by the young girl sitting in the row in front of me.

Whoa! Let me pause here for a second. Muppets on ice? What friggin’ stoner, ice-dance fan thought of that?

This girl though, I never saw her face completely, just a ¾ view from behind, but she made my heart flutter and my stomach do crazy things I wasn’t quite ready for. She had this small little freckle/birth mark just below her left ear that I couldn’t take my eyes off of. She is the only thing I remember about the “icecapade”. It’s as much a mystery today as it was nearly 30 years ago, this notion of love. What brings it on, what is it about a certain person, is it all just chemical? The romantic in me wants to believe that it’s more, but I don’t know.

On the radio, during the car ride home, Paul McCartney and Wings’ Silly Love Songs played and lulled me into a constant reminding of this mystery girl.

To this day when I hear that song – which admittedly is not often – I think of that girl and that freckle, I remember that first thrilling and sort of spins inducing tumble.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh billy, how do i love thee? let me count the ways...
Vun... Too... Tree... A-Four

Anonymous said...

Bill, let me just thank you for that.

Jenny H reading that blew my mind. There is no less poetic way to say that. I am glad it has been said, and by you makes things all right in the world.

Snacks, you are clever beyond all.

And, regarding the Count. Bill you must, must, must, check out Greg the Bunny in IFC. Too bad you don't have cable because it is brilliant and perfect for you. Which means that you will either fall madly in love or hate it instantly. Either way... run don't walk. Try a Google search for some video clips of the show. With regards to this posting, look for episodes with Count Blah.

Anonymous said...

AH!
AH !
AH !

(done in my best transalvanian muppet voice)

Anonymous said...

oh, love!

Anonymous said...

oh, and dear billy:
today i bought a coffee from starbucks and while seated at my receptionary station i looked all over the damn cup for a number by which i could reach you. i had maaad plans to harass. brazenly. in a fake accent. dayamn.