Monday, December 26, 2005

Repent! Repent!

Okay, little background, The Pixies are about my favorite band ever. From the first time I heard them, they stuck those jagged teeth into me and I've never let them release.

I did get to see them live 3 times before the breakup, but I have friends who became rabid fans after the end and never got to see them. One of the reasons (a minor one in retrospect, but what the fuck) that Greta and I collided so hard in the beginning was over a mutual love of the band.

When the shadowy news of the reformation of the band began to solidify into something actual and real, something that you could purchase tickets for, there was no question that we were gonna get us some tickets to Coachella and witness the second coming together, as it should be...

Over beers a few weeks before the show, I asked Chris, Greta and Beth if there was a particular song that they hoped the Pixies played when we went to see them. We all had one, but I remember Chris saying "Caribou", it was the song that got him into the band and was one that still held a special place for him.

Well we went. We braved the 112 degree heat and inability to bring in your own water. And witnessed an event that, I know meant so much to so many of the thousands of others there, but seemed like one of the MAJOR events of our four lives together. We were blissed out, we were rocked out, we were where we were supposed to be.

A moment that I hope to hold onto for the rest of my days: The band started the first notes to "Caribou" and Chris turned to me with a huge smile and said, "catch me".

Well, I was given a DVD for Christmas of the Pixies doing one of their reunion gigs. As a bonus there are extra tracks of them performing various songs at other venues, including a couple from that seminal Coachella show.

One of the three from Coachella? Yup, "Caribou".

I was going to wait to watch the show until Beth came back from California, but I couldn't resist me a little "Caribou" action. I realized about halfway through the song that I was holding my breath and my heart was beating really fast. It was a little overwhelming.

I hope you all had a good Christmas.

No comments: